Tuesday, February 17, 2009

North Main street

An afternoon by North Main street

Walking down North Main street. Sounds all gather here at this time. As any usual afternoon. It's not what I would call a busy street. The word busy sounds too stressful. It's what I would call a lively street. with the children glaring at the fishes in the window of the pet shop. With the workers all off buying cabbages from the polish food shop. With the old men talking fast in a funny accent buy the hard ware store. And with the old ladies searching bargains in the second hand shops. And with the students hanging in the corner by the sport shop.

Up by the right is Keith's dough nut shop. He's a true sweet heart even if he calls me Bonnie. Down by the side is that falafel joint. The busy looking chef never remembers that I don't like onions, but I always tip him anyway. To the left is the cutest little shop with fair trade clothes. The saleswoman thinks purple is a lovely colour. A bit further down is the book shop that sells hand made note books in leather. when the sales man asked to be forgiven for taking too long with my purchases, I told him: "Don't worry, all we have is time."

And time is all the people skipping, walking, running or gliding down North Main street have. And they know it. You can see it in their faces. In the brief smile or a quiet "scuse me" after doing that little dance after almost bumping in to each other.

I continue down the steet, heading home. I live right off it to the left, right behind the hospital. If you're ever in the mood for a cup of tea on your way to the Gate or the Destillery fields, do pop by. Milk and sugar?

No comments:

Post a Comment